Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Did you know?


Simon the Cananite, one of the Twelve Disciples of Jesus - the Cananite does not refer to a native of Canaan, but is derived from the Syriac word Kanean or Kaneniah, which was the name of a Jewish sect. The Revised Version has "Cananaean;" marg., "or Zealot" He is also called "Zelotes" (Lk 6:15; Acts 1:13; R.V., "the Zealot"), because previous to his call to the apostleship he had been a member of the fanatical sect of the Zealots. There is no record regarding him.

And even though most people know Simon, later called Peter and Andrew, James & John, sons of Zebedee, Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas and Matthew the tax collector, Judas Iscariot, James son of Alphaeus, Simon the Cananite/Zealot, many do not remember Lebbaeus, also known as Thaddaeus. I myself have read the Gospels many times but still could not remember him. It's like, everytime I re-read the Gospels, I will always go... Oh, this is one of the Twelve. And no matter how many times, I still feel the name is foreign or don't belong... LOL weird...

And by the way, Lebbaeus is known as Saint Jude for some denominations, the patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes. If you had noticed, sometimes in the personals column of the newspaper you will see something like "Prayer to St. Jude", or "Thanksgiving to St. Jude".... stuffs like this...

"Most holy apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered thy beloved Master into the hands of His enemies hath caused thee to be forgotten by many, but the Church honors and invokes thee universally as the patron of hopeless cases, of things despaired of. Pray for me, who am so miserable. Make use, I implore thee, of that particular privilege accorded to thee, to bring visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and succor of Heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly -- (Mention your request) and that I may praise God with thee and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise, O blessed Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor thee as my special and powerful patron, and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to thee. Amen."

An alternative prayer is :

"Saint Jude, Hope of the Hopeless, Pray for me"

Isn't it sad? That people pray to some other "heavenly entity" other than Jesus? As far as I know, saints CANNOT answer prayers. At most, they are messengers, carrying prayers to God or answers from God. This reminds me of those Chinese gods like tua pek kong, choi san, guan yin, guan goong, and all those man-made gods. Have anyone heard any of these gods talk? Many people have heard Jesus speak, either audibly or non-audibly, or through the Word of God a.k.a. the Bible. Have you ever heard of word of tua pek kong? Choi san bible? Or whatever documentation or book or the life of these "gods"?

By the way, did you know that tua pek kong was actually a Made-in-Malaysia god? This "god" used to be a Chinese man called Zhang Li (张理) of Hakka family. His Sumatra bound boat was struck by wind and accidentally landed on the Penang island of Malaysia, which at that time had only 50 inhabitants (40 years before Francis Light). After his death, the locals began worshipping him and built the tua pek kong temple there. Today tua pek kong is worshipped by many Chinese Malaysians throughout the country. I have no idea what he did, but one thing I know, is that he didn't die for my sins. He didn't die for the sins of the whole world. What on earth did he ever do to deserve worship???

Oh well, back to my reading of Matthew 10... LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home